Re: Topband: Beverages over coral

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages over coral
From: stoskopf@tri.net
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:02:37 -0500 (CDT)
I can't speak for low band, but in my hour on Ducie last year, I quickly
tried my 20m 1/4 wave vertical with the short radials.  SWR was much
higher than I modelled with EZNEC for good ground. Reconfigured quickly as
1/2 wave center fed for 15M and worked much like at home in Kansas as
modelled.

My conclusion was that there is a good saltwater conduction plane out
there in the ocean, but you still need a near field return for the
antenna.  I suspect that the problems people have had with the SteppIR
vertical is that it is 1/4 length in the standard configuration and the
ground needed is ignored.  Friends had a problem on a fairly large ship
and some of the DXpeditions have had various problems on shore.

As for the beverage on Ducie, it will be interesting getting a long one
lined up for some paths.  Take some really tough shirts and pants.  Don't
step on the baby birds.  The brush is about the right height for hanging
the wire.

It's a great venue with NO ships or artificial EMI.   Have fun.

N0UU