Re: Topband: Outstanding condx

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Outstanding condx
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 12:57:55 -0400
Conditions were exceptional here in Maine also. I didn't stay on
very late, but of note was UK8DAN peaking 579. That is by far the
strongest I ever heard him. 3B7C is always strong here (sorry,
folks!) but last night was simply phenomenal... almost like a local
at times.

As so often seems to be the case, this "bright flash" in propagation
happened just as geomagnetic activity started to rise after several
days of quiet. I have noticed this effect many times. All paths,
including high latitude and polar circuits become enhanced briefly,
even when the disturbance starting up is quite severe. The current
disturbance (if you can even call it that) is very mild.
Nevertheless, following several days of  quiet conditions, it seems
enough to provide brief enhancement.

I was frustrated by my own stupidity again. When I first tuned
across UK8DAN he was a true 579, but I didn't have the amplifier
warmed up. In the 5 minutes it takes to warm it up, he had faded to
559. I called but the closest he ever got to figuring out my call
was N1BGE. You would think by now I would know better than to *ever*
listen to top band without the amp warm... but obviously I don't!

73,
Paul N1BUG