Topband: Vertical Antenna Arrays

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Vertical Antenna Arrays
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:27:17 -0400
Hi All,

Yesterday afternoon, at 5:11 PM local time here, I managed to rather casually
snatch 3B7C from the throngs of Europeans calling him --- unfortunately, it was
NOT on Top Band, but rather, on 40-meters CW(sigh!).

Still, I was impressed enough with my success to bemoarn the fact that I don't
have the wherewithal here to erect a similar antenna for 160-meters: It's
essentially an inverted Bobtail array, with the horizontal "phasing" wire just
some 3-feet above actual ground...

What amazes me about this aerial is the fact that there are no elaborate
phasing harnesses, no fancy copper lay-outs below entailing miles of wire, no
Wilkinson power dividers, no nothing! Just some pre-measured strands of
insulated of wire, a lead-in of 52-ohm coax --- and daylight DX on what is
supposed to be a night-time long distance band.

Gosh, what I wouldn't do to have one of these for 1.8-MHz...!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ