Re: Topband: BEVERAGE TERMINATION NEAR POWER LINE

To: "Mr. and Mrs. Magoo" <magoo@isp.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: BEVERAGE TERMINATION NEAR POWER LINE
From: Paul Kelley N1BUG <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:15:41 -0400
Mr. and Mrs. Magoo wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago someone posted a query regarding terminating a
> Beverage under or very near a power line as opposed to keeping the
> termination back some distance.  I don't recall seeing any responses to this
> query and wonder what distance, if any, responders had found to be
> desireable in keeping power line noise out of the antenna.

Bill,

Due to space constraints my northeast Beverage is terminated about
20 feet short of being directly under a power line. Actually it is
two power lines, one 13.2 kV and the other 46 kV. Performance of the
Beverage seems about what it should be for its length (500 feet),
and under normal circumstances I get no power line noise on it.

There was an exception to "normal circumstances" last winter,
involving a problem on the 46 kV line some 6 miles or more from my
station... but that wiped out all reception on all antennas, not
just the one terminated near a power line.

73,
Paul N1BUG