Topband: K9AY Loop questions

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY Loop questions
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:30:09 -0500
K9AY Loop questions for community wisdom/knowledge:

Question 1 - I have seen plots on K9AY loops and their relative gain is way
down on 160 compared to 80.  Of course, they work great on 160, certainly with
a preamp.  Does this mean you could make one for 80 that was half the size and
it would still work well?  Is there something magical about the size that Gary
designed them to be?

Question 2 - is there any reason you could not build one 10 feet above the
ground and use a ground plane of 3 or 4 elevated radials?  Over very
sandy/rocky soil, wouldn't that give me better control of my antenna ground
than (more) difficult-to-manage (i.e. hard to bury and keep buried)  in-ground
radials?

Mark, N5OT