Re: Topband: Q of inductors

To: "Roger D Johnson" <n1rj@roadrunner.com>,"Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Q of inductors
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 13:01:27 -0400
> Q is still about 160 with an RF resistance of approx 2.5
> Ohms.
> For comparison, a 28uH rotary measures about 210 and
> a piece of Miniductor is over 300. Are my measurements on
> target?

Roger,

If you look at:

http://www.w8ji.com/loading_inductors.htm

you'll see what I typically measure on inductors.

I virtually never find  an inductor with a Q of 1000. When I
do they are large copper tubing with optimum form factor.

Most airdux and miniductors are in the 200-350 range, but on
occasion can be higher.

It looks like what you measured is within reason of what lab
measurement standard equipment indicates.

73 Tom