Topband: Antenna Arsenals

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Antenna Arsenals
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:19:56 -0700 (PDT)
Eddie,
  Let me urge you to find another spool of wire so you can make a reflector
underneath the dipole just off the ground... Now there is a real cloud burner...

  Case in point:  Field day - at my farm... We put up an 80m horizontal loop at
30 feet (more or less) with the help of a couple of friendly trees and some
spare sections of 25G and rope for guys...  While we were waiting for starting
time the guys asked me if there was any way to improve the performance on 80
meters... I suggested a reflector underneath... So, I dug up more wire and some
wood stakes and put another loop, a foot off the ground, directly under the
antenna...
  Field day went well - lots of fun, 2 smoked amplifiers and one smoked
generator, lots of coffee and sandwiches, and baloney... About 30 minutes
before the end of the contest I decided to start cleaning things up and went
out in the field and unclamped the ends of the reflector loop (it bit the heck
out of me when the guys keyed the amp just as I was unscrewing the split
bolt)... I started rolling up the reflector... It only took about 60 seconds
and a couple of heads popped out the door of the travel trailer plaintively
asking, "Did you do something?  We had a pile up going and it just quit."  So,
I quickly unrolled the wire and bolted the ends back together (ow, ouch,
dammit, hey let me get finished here!) and within a couple of minutes they had
a pile up again...

  denny -
  everything I know about antennas - I have forgotten for I have Al
Whatshizname disease...