Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems

To: Top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems
From: Michael Rauh <mikerauh@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks for the responses.

I plan to have all the radials on the ground.  I would be surprised to see
smoke and flame from a radial field laying on the ground.

It is true that bonding to a buss wire at the common chord will save quite a
bit of wire, at the cost of making perhaps 240 brazed connections to the buss
wire.  The labor involved in crawling around on my hands and knees to do that
puts me off, although it might not be as bad as it sounds.  I have to crawl on
my hands an knees anyway to pound in the sod staples.

What bothers me is the lack of an explanation for the buss wire method.  I have
seen it presented in several texts, but without any explanation.  I wish I
understood the thinking behind it.

Mike W8GT