Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Multiple Ground Systems
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:25:51 +0000 (GMT)
> I have always disbelieved the "bond the crossing radials" old
> wives tail, for good electrical reasons... These crossing
> radials have differing RF phase and voltage on them... Bonding
> them together is a short circuit causing a lump in the radial
> field pattern...
> denny

There is a difference between elevated and resonant radials that form the
"other half" of the resonant antenna and ground "screen" against which the
antenna or array works.

Buried or laid on the ground radials have different electrical length than the
elevated, quarter wave point would end up about 60% of the elevated radial. If
running vertical array against the ground screen, then the bonding the radials
on the buss should be OK.

I would not bond the elevated radials in an array, just run them in a safe
spacing from each other or you get the "Denny sparks".

Yuri, K3BU.us

Top Band All Time records have been updated
http://www.k3bu.us/topband_records.htm
Congrats to new recordeeees!