Re: Topband: Share of a common mode current experience

To: "'Jim Sullivan'" <jims@psws.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Share of a common mode current experience
From: "Jim Sullivan" <jims@psws.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 00:13:25 -0700

I am gathering info on a common mode 'turns through the toroid stack' choke.
After reading this thread of EMAIL and reading K9YC great article
"A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing",
I am  ready to gather the toroids and give it a try.

I checked on the cost of the toroids and the 2.4" #31 units seem to be >
$15.00 each.
As a result I have 4 questions.

1) Increasing the turns reduces the number of toroids required for the
target 5K ohms
   What is the down side of using fewer toroids?  (dissipation?)

2) Can I use teflon coax like RG142B/U (.195" diameter) to allow ~15 turns
with
    fewer toroids to achieve the same 5K ohms?

3) Does the diameter of the turns passing thru the Toroid stack effect the
predicted Rs.

4 Does anyone know which of the fair-rite distributors gives the best prices
for
    quantity 10-15

I am new to the reflector, and I hope these questions do not waste bandwidth

Jim W7EJ CN2R