Re: Topband: FT-2000 for serious TB DXing?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: FT-2000 for serious TB DXing?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 09:36:35 -0400
Yaesu radios traditionally have run very high gain at the end of the IF section, after all the filters. Since there is no selectivity or filtering in that area, the detector stage gets hit with a broadband noise. Both the upper and lower sideband of that noise add to the output. This is the source of wideband hissing noise when we disconnect the radio from the antenna with a narrow filter selected.

It is different in every radio and the effect is rather subjective. The effect also depends on the filter you have selected. A wide filter passes more noise and broader noise from the front end, and masks the very wide bandwidth noise from the last IF gain stages. The effect is subjective because many people aren't bothered by the noise, some are, and every receiver can be different.

A second factor is anything we do to increase gain in front of narrow filters reduces IM and blocking performance of the radio. In most FT1000 series radios I've tested the effect almost tracks the added gain. I add 10 dB 70 MHz IF gain, close-spaced IM gets worse just like I added 10 dB of signal from both generators. This is because the second mixer and later stages are worse than the very good first mixer, they are the trouble spots. If you don't reduce the noise that actually bothers you by at least the amount you increase signal levels, the dynamic range decreases.

It's my suggestion for those bothered by noise from the very last IF stages (after the narrow filter) you just add an audio filter. Don't mess with the gain distribution, filter the noise before it reaches your ears. This way you get rid of the noise without reducing close-spaced dynamics. Some people will never be bothered by that noise anyway because the filter in their head can disgard the low level but very broad bandwidth noise and focus on the narrow bandwidth stronger noise in the filter window.

My FT1000MP MKV's are not an issue at all for that broadband noise. My FT1000D is, but the noise doesn't really bother me. I also added a small audio filter that I use on CW so I can't hear the 2kHz to 20kHz faint hissing that might drive some people nuts.

I think narrower roofing filters are a great thing. Adding gain in front of the narrow filters is something I would never do in my receivers.

73 Tom