Topband: solder

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: solder
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 19:54:08 -0700
  Roger:  I believe you should narrow your look at the soldered radial option
answers to others in your local area before ruling it out. I have weather and
ground exposed 60/40 solder connections to circuit board copper radial plates
that have been around for over 15 years here in the Pacific Northwest with no
apparent degradation. Yes the copper is oxidized but the solder is intact. I
think the solder degradation depends a lot on local environmental factors. I
recently coated some directly buried solder interconnected radial wires for a
40 meter 4 Square that were connection coated with black PVC glue. In about a
year I think I will dig up a couple of these joints and check them out. I will
drop a note here on the results when I do.

73es Lee K7TJR Oregon