Topband: Reminiscences of K6SE

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Reminiscences of K6SE
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:10:54 -0400 (EDT)
Two weeks after graduating from college in 1976, I drove out to LA seeking fame
and fortune.  I had been a contester of sorts and wanted to keep it up.

Sometime around the end of 1976, I went to a SCCC meeting at W6HX and mentioned
that I was looking for place to operate for the DX contest.  Earl invited me to
join him and others for a Multi-single effort at his place in Palmdale.  I
eagerly went with my TS-520 and SB-200 amp.

All I remember was his tower and radial system -- Wow! -- and that the contest
was one of endless, disciplined JA's and *no* Europeans.

Skip ahead 20+ years.

I'm living in Washington, DC, desperate to get on the 160. Lo and behold, K6SE
publishes his article on Pennants and Flags.  I correspond with Earl, who
responds with an interesting mix of mentoring and fatherly advice.

I saw Earl in Visalia last year and thanked him for everything. He was very
self-effacing... his helping me out was, as others have stated,  just the way
he was.

73's Earl. Thanks for everything.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC