Re: Topband: 12 volt relays

To: ac7a@cox.net, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 12 volt relays
From: "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 01:39:16 +0000
> That is an easy solution. But I think you missed the point that I
> was
> attempting to keep my entire system powered by a single 12 to13.8V
> storage battery for emergency purposes. Then the task is not quite
> so
> direct. I think the thread was also useful because it  makes
> potential
> users of a  seemingly acceptable circuit aware that it doesn't
> perform
> to the level expected.

Thomas,
I got into the thread a little late....It's been awhile since I've
looked at the circuit I've used which operates a 24-v relay
from 12v, but as I remember it and FWIW, I use a DPDT
switch and charge up two capacitors in parallel, then when
I want to switch the relay, the two caps are connected in series
by the switch which then pulls up the relay.  I have a "keep alive"
resistor that keeps the relay operated for as long as needed.  Obviously
it's not a circuit that would be any good for fast "QSK" switching.
I used it to remotely switch a matching circuit on my "Dakota Special"
vertical.

One of the circuits I saw referred to on the net that used a transistor
was a nice piece of work...very clever design.

> As I mentioned in one of my earlier post, I am pursuing the boost
> regulator approach and now have a couple of  MC33063AP ICs on order.
>
> I'll provide the schematic to those who have expressed interest in a
>
> circuit after I've had a chance to build it on the bench.

I'd like to see that.

73,
Charlie, N0TT