Re: Topband: Protecting RX input & FK8CP this morning

To: "'Paul Kelley N1BUG'" <paul.kelley.n1bug@gmail.com>,"'Topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Protecting RX input & FK8CP this morning
From: "Jeff Maass" <jmaass@k8nd.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:49:30 -0300

G'day Paul:

An I.C.E. #196 or #197 "RF Limitor / receiver protector" is one option, which
requires no
no power and no switching on transmit - just plug it into the RX antenna line.
http://www.iceradioproducts.com/reconly.html

Not a good solution in a M/S, M/2, or M/M contest station, though - it will
block the
signal to the RX input when any signal exceeds it's limits on the RX antenna,
even on the
other HF bands!

We bought four of the ICE #196 devices for PJ2T in November, but cannot use
them in that
station since we are almost always multi-transmitter in contests. They test out
fine,
working as advertised, though. I'll be selling the ones now at PJ2T when they
come back to
the USA next week.

Other options, which require power and a switching line from the
transmitter/transceiver
on transmit, are the KD9SV "Front End Saver"
(http://johnjeanantiqueradio.com/gary.htm,
available at http://www.radio-ware.com/) and K9AY's "RIP-1" (which was
available at Array
Solutions / WX0B, but may no longer be available), both of which work well.

Or, you can homebrew a simple (fast) relay to switch the RX antenna line to the
radio.

73,  Jeff  K8ND