Re: Topband: protecting rx input

To: "Top Band Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: protecting rx input
From: "Roy Koeppe" <royanjoy@ncn.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:11:29 -0500
Concerning,

"... I thought about adding a relay to disconnect
and/or ground whatever antenna is connected to the RX input during
transmit, but since I will also be working on station mods to allow
QSK I am interested in keeping the number of relays to a minimum.
Are there other ways of protecting the receiver? Or is the relay my
best bet?...(etc.)"

Devices for that are on the market. But Icom recommended a small lamp in
series with the antenna, followed by back-to-back shunt diodes to ground
(chassis) at the rx input. A #47 lamp or a grain of wheat, available
down to 25 ma, and 1N914 are typical suggestions.

73,    Roy    K6XK