Topband: WAJA 160 - The End

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: WAJA 160 - The End
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 04:07:57 +0000
K5GO:
 >I think Bill's original posting had to do with being
the first to achieve an award.

         For the record, I did not say that.  JARL said
no USA had been awarded WAJA since 1993.  I am quite
sure WAJA has been in existence for many years prior
to that...probably back to the 50's when they got
back on the air.  I do know JA6LCJ got #52 in 1974.
I would be very surprised if I was the first USA-160,
but JARL records are not computerized prior to '93.

 >Hopefully he did not say he was the first to make
the qsos that would be necessary to achieve it.

         Of course not.  I'm quite sure W7RM, N6DX or at
least N7UA worked all prefectures long ago.

         For one who say it doesn't matter to them, it
seems odd they feel compelled on a public reflector
to say it doesn't matter.  ;-)   It seems surprising
that one who disdains paperwork so much would go to
the trouble to look through their QSLs (or QRZ.com if
they don't collect QSLs) to determine where some of
the more obscure prefectures are (i.e. not all JAs
list it and you must check their city name versus a
list to determine their prefecture).

         Very strange indeed.  I only posted about my
WAJA-160 because it was something I was proud of
finally completing and thought others might enjoy
trying.  I guess W1BB would have soundly chastised
me for that.  BTW I understand Stew went to some
trouble himself to claim the #1 DXCC-160 award.
He obviously had a lapse of 160 etiquette as now
defined.

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV