Topband: VF drift in coax

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: VF drift in coax
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 05:32:20 -0400
I don't believe for a moment long term VF drift in foam
cable is any more of a concern in foam coax as it is in
solid dielectric coax.
I can't even think of any reason that would be true!

Does anyone know why that would be possible or true?

I have a feeling it might be because people think water gets
into the cable, but that isn't true. The cells are closed.
It isn't a sponge. Any water simply follows the shield or
the center (if it isn't a foam bonded to a solid center
conductor and shield) so it affects solid cables just as
much as foam.

Now I can see air core cable without a closed dielectric
filling up with water, but that type of cable is a problem
in any installation where it is not pressurized.

So where does the idea come from?

73 Tom