Topband: Active Receiving Whip antenna question

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Active Receiving Whip antenna question
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:32:32 -0800
    As a substitute for the 2N5160 you might look at the specs on the MRF545. I
have never tried this transistor so YMMV. RF parts has them for a little over
$4 each. If my memory is correct the MRF544 is the NPN complement.
    Any one have experience with these transistors?
   Fortunately for myself my 8 active whips 20 foot tall only pick up offending
broadcast signals at an output level of less than -10dbm in 75 ohms. I wonder
how much offending signal other users of active whips experience? There are a
few simpler design active whip amplifiers that can output signals in excess of
18dbm with little distortion if you do not need the higher capability of the
Lankford design.

Lee K7TJR Oregon