Topband: Going straight through the wood

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Going straight through the wood
From: Gilles RENUCCI <ve2tzt@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 20:07:14 +0000
>The BIGGEST disadvantage of running through the cedars is the density of all
>of the  foliage/branches! >That, and the fact that it's VERY easy to become
>dis-oriented while in the "...thick" of it all (no pun >intended), and in so
>doing, stray off of a atraight-line path...

>~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Eddy,

I had the same problem to run my beverages straight into the forest.
The solution : Attach with some tape an electric torch (preferably a big one)
at the top of a 10 feet (or more) mast (or peace of branch). Raise that just at
one ground rod point of your futur beverage and beam the torch in direction of
the other side of the antenna. Then go to the other side. It is now easy to run
the wire straight in the direction of  the light. The perfect moment is 1/2h
before sunset (is not it strange for a 160m antenna ?) when it is bright enough
to see where you walk and when the fading sun brightness permits to see the
torch.

73's, Gilles / VE2TZT