Re: Topband: ...Recovery time???

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: ...Recovery time???
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:36:59 -0500
>> fraction of a second and do not hear the station coming
>> back to me, than
> the
>> second request I hear perfectly.

I looked at my 1000MP MK V's (actually two of them) just by
on-the-air testing and didn't notice that problem, both in
VOX and QSK. I can hear any signal above noise floor below
25-30WPM dots between a string of dots on QSK. As a matter
of fact if I send a string of dots I can easily copy a 5 WPM
S-6 station while I'm rattling off the high speed dots.

I normally notice such things. Certainly that same problem
with the R4C's stood out like a sore thumb.

When I get time I'll put a MP MK V and a MP up and see what
they look like on the bench. I never use the regular MP on
the air, I just have it just so I have one to look at, so I
can't say how it is on the air.

Is everyone sure this isn't cause by an artifact from
switching something external? Say you drop a relay line and
the backpulse generates a click?  Too much RF on a receive
antenna line?

Admittedly I did not use a scope, but neither fast AGC or
slow causes a problem by ear in my MK V's. I would thing by
all the people using regular MP's it would be a widely
publicized flaw.

73 Tom