Re: Topband: Sherwood data

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Sherwood data
From: James Kearman <jkearman@att.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 10:50:56 -0500
Tom Rauch wrote:
> 4.) AGC can affect readability of weak signals near noise.
> Humans do NOT want a perfect AGC when copying weak signals
> near noise. They do not want a perfect AGC in pileups
> either. Designing a receiver with no volume change for
> signal level change is a mistake for HF DXing or contesting
> use.
I will raise my glass to this one in particular. "Good" AGC bypasses the
best signal processor we have -- our brains -- which can use slight
differences in signal amplitude to separate signals. If I ever build my
dream receiver the AGC is going to get a lot of attention.

73,

Jim, KR1S
http://kf1s.kearman.com/