Re: Topband: Sherwood data

To: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Sherwood data
From: kd4e <kd4e@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:51:35 -0500
> I have looked at Sherwood's data and I am not savvy enough to
> understand what is being measured. I am sure there are many others
> like me on the Topband reflector and we need to be educated in what
> to look for as we evaluate what is the best "bang for your buck."
> In other words, while the engineer's debate technical minutia, we
> non-techs just scratch our heads and try to comprehend what points are
> debated.
> 73, Craig Clark, K1QX

I agree that far too many of these debates are
about "shades of grey" that have little or not
practical impact on the operation by most Hams.

At the end of the day the selection among a broad
range of quality Ham gear is subjective.  Sure
there are some real dogs and those should be pointed
out, but otherwise most are acceptable for common
usage.

Many Hams are running BA rigs with awful specs vs
modern ones but this is a *hobby* and we love the
old rigs and put up with the absence of dsp filters,
etc.

For others studying the technical specifications
or looking for a contesting edge or looking for a
little help with weak-signal work or perhaps just
bragging rights drives their decision.  To each
their own, there is no single "best" except within
a narrow category of use and preference.

Find a rig that you love to look at and to operate
and just enjoy it!  :-)

--

Thanks! & 73, doc, KD4E