Topband: FW: [Flexradio] HPSDR Janus and Ozy Board ProductionAnnouncemen

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: FW: [Flexradio] HPSDR Janus and Ozy Board ProductionAnnouncement
From: "Steve Ireland" <vk6vz@arach.net.au>(by way of Bill Tippett<btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:08:55 -0500
Hi Bill

Hope all is well with you.  I managed to work J20RR this morning, so feeling
pretty on top of the world.

I thought those on the 160m reflector who are interested in Software Defined
Radio may be interested in the announcement from Tucson Amateur Packet Radio
(TAPR) - see below - asking for expressions of interest for some key HPSDR
(High Performance Software Defined Radio) circuit boards, in particular the
Ozy board.

About two weeks ago, I used a prototype receiver built by my friend VK6APH,
basically consisting of two HPSDR boards - the Mercury board and the Ozy
board, plus PowerSDR software running on a PC.  This HPSDR-based receiver
digitizes at the antenna socket, so no mixer-generated noise and intermod -
and the performance was to me, in the Aussie vernactular, gob smacking.  I
selected a 10Hz CW filter in PowerSDR and tuned it across a huge JA pile-up
on 40m - to my amazement, the signals were easily readable/separable with no
ringing.

Basically, the Mercury board enables direct sampling of the 0-65MHz
spectrum. Based on a Linear Technology LTC2208 130MSPS 16-bit A/D converter,
the board contain its own Field Programmable Gate Array to undertake Digital
Down Conversion (DDC) to 250 kSPS or less for transfer over the HPSDR Atlas
bus to the USB interface on the OZY board.

Preliminary performance figures for Mercury are a maximum input level of
+9dBm and a MDS(500Hz BW) of -120dBm.  A companion transmitter board called
Penelope has recently been prototyped.

The Ozy module is an FPGA-based interface controller card that provides the
input and output connections to the real world. It uses an Altera Cyclone II
FPGA to provide numerous control lines for interfacing the various boards
connected to the HPSDR Atlas backplane.

Ozy also provides a high speed USB 2.0 interface to the controlling PC.  One
of the boards that TAPR are seeking expressions of interest from radio
enthusiasts is the Ozy board - see below.  Needless to say, I completed an
EOI for an Ozy board a few minutes ago.  TAPR have agreed to build and sell
HPSDR boards.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in high performance radio to take
a look at the HPSDR wiki at:
http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HpsdrWiki:Community_Portal

Vy 73

Steve, VK6VZ