Re: Topband: W7IUV Preamp from Low Band DXing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: W7IUV Preamp from Low Band DXing
From: "Steve Ratzlaff" <steveratz@eoni.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 14:43:11 -0800

Very coincidentally, I made a W7IUV preamp recently as well, except I used
the latest version on Larry's webpage, with the correct values. My 2N5109
must be a little different, as current draw was much higher than the stated
nominal 75mA--mine was about 90mA, and runs very hot to the "finger test".
But bench tests give very good performance. Using 3/4 MHz output tones at 0
dBm each gave +40 dBm OIP3, +60 dBm OIP2. Gain is +21.3 dB. Using 20 bifilar
turns on an FT37-75 core had the -1dB response from about 220 kHz---27 MHz,
and only -1.2 dB at 30 MHz. (I used 1 uF monolithic ceramic caps for
coupling and emitter bypass.) This is an excellent broadband preamp, not
just for 160M!
73,
Steve AA7U
NE Oregon