Topband: noise

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: noise
From: W7lr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 13:12:34 EST
Noise is a frequent topband topic and consideration.  Here is a germ  on an
idea - I dont know if new or already well known.  When I was in  Thailand in
1964 (as HS1L) we had a research lab for Stanford Research  Institute.  Lots of
communication research.  One project was recording  satellite Faraday rotation
data.
The Bangkok noise and our ionospheric sounders made that difficult.   We had
a good technician (engineer?), Bob Daniels (sk) - Fred K3ZO may remember  his
W6 call, who built a noise reduction system.
I cant remember the details and wonder if topbanders might see if this  would
work for topband.

We used two receivers, and used the IF outputs from those to drive a
comparator.  In one input was N; and in the other input was S+N, and the
output was
the difference or S.  We got good recordings and could not have  without that
system.  It requires the same phase thru both paths for the  comparator to
work.

I have two TS-850's, which have an 8.83 MHz IF output.  I wonder about  the
comparator circuit and what circuitry to use beyond that, or whether to try
and insert that back somewhere into the 850?

This system may be one used by Motorola in some of their equipment.   It
requires finding a "clear" noise frequency near the desired signal  frequency.
It
is a lot more effective than a noise blanker which tries to  blank out noise
pulses.

Thailand was fun - highlights were visiting the ancient jungle temples of
Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and the annual elephant roundup in Thailand.   Pileups
with HS1L were like those from VQ3,4,5 in 1948.
I enjoyed too the chance to help found RAST in Thailand.

Here's for low noise and lots of good signals in 2007.    73  Bob W7LR