Re: Topband: Beverage height issues

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage height issues
From: Bill Tippett <w0zv@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 06:25:09 -0800 (PST)
K1QX wrote:
>a 2' Beverage would never last. For
those with low antennas, is this not a problem in your
area?

My primary EU Beverage is ~1000' at 40 degrees.  It
averages ~2.5' high over its length (as low as 1.5'
between 3' supports) and is mostly over a fallow
cotton field (bush-hogged after harvest to 6"
stubble).  We have lots of deer here (I allow a couple
of guys to hunt on my land) but the deer seem to learn
where it is and generally avoid it.  I continually
check all my Beverages and occasionally may need to
straighten a support post for the low one.  I actually
have less maintenance with this Beverage than I do
with others through forests which continually have
dead branches falling on them.

I generally agree with the observations W7IUV made and
feel the low Beverage works better than others at 5-6'
high.  BTW, the low EU Beverage was the one used to
copy the N2XE 80m beacon (~550 miles distance) running
at 27 and 40 uW levels (not copied by anyone else at
those levels).

I also experimented with a BOG versus a traditional
Beverage (identical 800' length and direction).  I
concluded the traditional Beverage was much better.
Based on comments here I may try the BOG experiment
again but using much shorter length.

73,  Bill  W4ZV