Topband: RF Ground or Wire to RF Ground?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: RF Ground or Wire to RF Ground?
From: oliver steiner <violindevil@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:04:05 -0800 (PST)
I would like to better understand how ground is
distinguished from wire to ground.  If a ham runs a
wire from his antenna matchbox case to a copper water
main below the shack window we say that he needs to
consider the wire's length in relation to the
operating frequency, so that a low impedence to ground
will be seen at the matchbox.  If the wire is of the
wrong length in relation to the operating wavelength,
it might cause the ground to be effectively
disconnected from the matchbox.  Here's my question:
How do the electrons know where the wire ends and the
pipe begins?  If the wire is 15 feet long, might the
first hundred feet of the pipe constitute *a further
wire length*, thereby placing ground at 115 feet from
the matchbox?  I'm suspecting that the electrical
length of the "wire to ground" might be any one of
many different numbers, not necessarily the actual
physical ground wire's length.  If this were the case,
wouldn't we all want to tune our ground to ensure
maximum effectiveness?  Since it is not standard
amateur practice for everyone to have a tuned ground
lead, I assume that there is something about defining
where a ground lead ends and a ground begins that I
need to learn.  I will be most grateful for a
clarification.

Many thanks and 73,
Ollie - W2QXR

Oliver Steiner