Re: Topband: strange conditions

To: k2xx@swva.net, PACER99@aol.com, Top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: strange conditions
From: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:08:30 -0700
At 06:21 PM 12/29/06 -0500, Joe Giacobello wrote:

>PACER99@aol.com wrote:
>> N7RT who is only 100 miles north of me reported hearing only one European
>> station. I worked 30.
>>

>I am a newcomer to 160M this season and, admittedly, am not using low
>noise, directional antennas on receive, but I have observed what Larry
>has described here.  Often I have heard other stations 100-200 miles
>away from me hearing and working DX that I can't even copy via ESP.  Is
>this typical for 160M?  In other words, are signals often received only
>within a narrow geographic window?
>
>73, Joe
>K2XX

I find this to be especially true when 10 meters is really hot. When I
lived in San Diego, stations in LA were running JA's that were not copiable
in San Diego. Also I could work Africans right through the East Coast many
times. You just have to wait until the spotlight shines on you. I think 160
is much the same way.
73 Hardy N7RT