Re: Topband: Question Re: Coax Shield vs. Ground.

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Question Re: Coax Shield vs. Ground.
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 08:15:20 -0800
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:16:17 -0500, Bill Tippett wrote:

>BTW ferrite sleeves can also be used on the
>receiving antenna coax as Tom explains below, but the
>best solution is an isolated transformer at the feedpoint
>which prevents RF from ever reaching the outside of
>the coax (as Tom said in his first response above).

As luck would have it, I've been working on a tutorial about RFI,
noise suppression, and the use of common mode chokes to decouple
feedlines from antennas. It is currently in first draft form, and
can be downloaded from my website as a pdf.  Use the link below
(note that my website is on a server that is case-sensitive).

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Review comments and questions are appreciated.  I'm still working on
it, and can easily incorporate corrections and suggestions.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC