Topband: Compuerized Contest Logging --- EPILOGUE

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Compuerized Contest Logging --- EPILOGUE
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:06:26 -0500
Wow...!

It sure is interesting to see all the many different software packages favoured
by different Hams in support of their contesting activities. It was eye-opening
to see the width & breadth of what's available out there nowadays...

There was a specific programme that was suggested to me, & I've been tinkering
with it for the past few days now. I honestly think that I finally may well
have something here that I can use "post-contest", strictly for the electronic
submission of my log sheets to sponsors in future events that I might take part
in --- something that even I (as computer-illiteate as I am!) can use.

I remain hesitant, however, about having the computer beast actually sitting on
the operating desk inside the shack beside me: the current technology has
stolen away, right from under us, a lot of the fun that used to come in tuning,
zero-beating, and unearthing DX "nuggets" on the bands, without most of us even
realizing the loss. I personally don't want a computer to rob me of the fun
that still remains for me in contesting --- if I ever actually wanted a "second
op" to do all of my logging, transmitting, etc., I'd look up a friend (i.e. the
living, breathing kind, Hi)...

I realize this kind of attitude does NOT a division leader in the final
standings make, but if there's no actual personal challenge in multi-tasking &
just plain surviving through through the "physical endurance" test that I think
contests are/were meant to be, then we may as well all collectively just pray
for the day that intelligent programming arrives on the scene that'll
automatically tune, log, dupe, and do all of the transmitting for us, while we
go off & do other things outside of the shack...

This increasing technological influx surely has to end somewhere, sometime, and
I honestly do believe that its final evolution will ultimately ring the death
knell of contesting as most of us have come to know (and love!) it over the
years...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ