Re: Topband: INV_L_POWER_LINE_NOISE

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: INV_L_POWER_LINE_NOISE
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 20:23:42 -0500 (EST)
In my experience, inverted L and Vert antennas are often full of noise
because of a "ground loop" (for want of a better term) between the local
power company neutral and the antenna ground system.  The way to break
this loop, and reduce noise, is a 1:1 transformer connected so that the
RF ground for the inverted L does not have a connection  to the "green
wire" or neutral wire of the power company.  In my case here it is clear
that those folks in the AC power business have NOTHING grounding their
system in this area except MY radial system.  Thus, all arcs, buzzes,
light dimmer noise, computer buzzes, are delivered here and mixed into
my Rx front end.

In any case, however, you will always find a receiving antenna, even a
simple magnetic loop mounted as far away from your inverted L and power
lines as possible, will hear a lot more on 80 and 160 meters.  On the
higher bands, the L may not suffer so much.

Good luck.  I live in town, with all these *&## Xmas lights and broken
powerline insulators, and I feel your pain.

73

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place
Marietta Ohio  45750

"Professionals built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark"