Re: Topband: 160 Mobile antennas

To: "peter dixon" <pj_dixon@hotmail.com>, <n6pe@pacbell.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Mobile antennas
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:47:40 -0800
> >I wonder if anyone has tried two 160 mobile whips back to back for a
> >receiving horizontal dipole and what the results were?

Yes, I have tried that.  I used some transformers from
Mini-Circuits that acted as baluns and impedance transformers.
This is extremely important, or else the feedline will act as
a vertical antenna.  Even with the help of the impedance
transformation, you get very little signal, so you need
a low noise preamp.  It worked pretty well electrically.
However, mechanically, mobile whips used horizontally have
severe sag, and move around in the wind a lot.  I wouldn't
use them again.  Instead, I would use aluminum tubing.

Rick N6RK