Re: Topband: FK8CP and tubes for his amp

To: "Herb Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>, <carsten.esch@appello.de>
Subject: Re: Topband: FK8CP and tubes for his amp
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:23:03 -0500
Herb wrote:
> Probably new sockets as well and they are not cheap unless
> you can find an aftermarket vendor or eBay source.
> Rebuilding this tube by Econoco (Woodland Hills, CA) is
> probably half the price of a new one.  Econco's warranty
> policy is superb on big tubes.

As far as I know tubes like this cannot be rebuilt by
anyone. Smaller tubes and particularly metal oxide focused
beam tubes are far too critical in dimensions and
contamination to be rebuilt.

Where ever the tubes come from, I would have someone close
to the vendor run them for several days **before** shipping
them. I have bought dozens of MRI pulls and a significant
percentage are bad, even when I have be assured they are
good by the seller. Some very good sellers are reluctant to
replace tubes, and I have had some bad pulls replaced with
equally bad tubes.

I also strongly agree with Herb and others who are concerned
about the rest of the amplifier components. It would be very
strange to have the tubes in such bad shape and not have
socket, PC board, bandswitch, relay, and/or other problems.
How could it be that tube pins have rotted off-- and
everything else is OK? On the surface it doesn't make  sense
that everything else is OK but the pins of the tubes somehow
corroded off.

73 Tom