Topband: EU opening

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: EU opening
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 05:01:21 -0800 (PST)
I have not worked any significant DX since the flare...
At my sunrise (Michigan) on the 13th I worked JA8ISU on 1815 kc with his signal
a solid 2 S units above the noise ...
 Last night right at my sunset I heard UA3ECJ at S1 (noise at S1 also) working
the 2 and 4 landers...
My noise level on 160 has been phenominally low since the flare.. I have
grabbed the MFJ259 a couple of times just to convince myself the antennas had
not fallen down into the woods.. My feeling is that even the noise is not
propagating well... We are having a December heat wave here in the midwest and
that always results in deafening noise, but not this time...
But local signals on 160 are booming... W8JI calling CQ was  60+ over S9 on my
meter... Either Tom has gone to a tube with handles or high angle is
propagating very well...

denny / k8do