Topband: Orion receiver on topband

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Orion receiver on topband
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 08:18:04 -0800
While working on a serial communication issue between my software and the
Orion, W4PA sent me a radio to use for debugging.  Naturally, I set it up
on the table (pushing the Drake C line off for awhile) and started working
topband with it.

The operator interface is a little different than other radios I have used,
so it took a little getting used to - but I have figured out most of the
controls.

I have to admit that the receiver in this box is likely the best I have
ever used on topband.  One of the more frustrating things I have to deal
with is electric fence noise.  The R4C with the 600 Hz front end filter
deals with it pretty well - but the noise blanker really doesn't work as
well as it does without the narrow 1st IF filter.  I can still hear the
noise, but it doesn't get in the way of copying many signals.

During the daytime, it seems like I can hear 5 or 6 fences - all popping.
With the Orion, they disappear when I turn on the blanker - but stay
gone even when tuned next to a strong signal (like K9UWA/7 who was
calling CQ down the band this morning).

Being able to narrow the selectivity on weak stations can be done
without any ringing and sometimes really helps copy the station.

The acid test for me will be using it during a contest - so hopefully
Scott will let me hang onto the radio for a couple more weeks and I
can play with it during the Stew Perry.

The radio I am using is the original Orion - with the monochrome display.
The Orion II has a colour one.  I understand there are some improvements
to the receiver in the newer model.

Was CQing again this morning on 1832.8 from 1400-1430 UTC.  I'll be doing
that over the weekend hoping for some propagation to Europe.

VU2BGS was on the band last night.  He is in Bangalore and works very
close to where I stayed during my visit in March - but our paths didn't
cross.  He runs about 80 watts to a short vertical - but seems to be
very interested in making 160 meter QSOs.  He is trying to make his
antenna bigger - and has lots of noise to deal with.  Maybe he will be
able to hear me some morning.

73 Tree N6TR/7
tree@kkn.net