Topband: Give it a try

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Give it a try
From: Robert Marshall-Read <rmread@starhub.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 18:29:02 +0700
>From the black hole of +/- a few degrees of the equator (depending on
where in YB I am operating) where noise is dominant and any tree
(coconut, fern, or god-knows-what) is a good support.....try it and see.

Been doing this 160m thing for two decades or more, and don't understand
the pedantic obsession with 'will it work?' or 'what about  my tree?' or
'what about my radials?'.....just try it and see.

My goodness, this is not life or death, many of those who ask these
questions are new to this band and believe me any wire will work, any
radial system will work, just don't expect to be W8JI and as the Brits
say "suck it and see".  Optimum is far from any of our grasps in the
antenna department (RX or TX).

See you on THE BAND with my balloon TX from one of the worst 160m
locations on earth.

73

Bob

YB5AQB 9V1GO G4VGO KY0C EI7IU SV0BV ad naseum

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow, what
a ride!'