Topband: JD1BME Update

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: JD1BME Update
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 08:51:45 -0500
        In mid-November, several worked JD1BME.
Checking the JA licensing info for this call showed:

"For Ogasawara, JD1BME has been issued according to
License Search."

Thus most thought he was located on Ogasawara.
However the odd thing was that there was little activity
from JA the day I worked him since the Dragon Jammer
was going strong.  Thus we thought he was possibly a
pirate station.

        According to info from Elvin JA3CZY via Phil W6UC,
JD1BME is a legitimate station but is located on "Marcus
Island", which is an old name for Minami Torishima.  Thus
it appears this is a legit station, but operating from Minami
Torishima instead of his home QTH in Ogasawara.  Maybe
JD1BME/JD1 would be a better way to explain it.  This also
explains why he was able to work through the Jammer
since Minami Torishima is considerably closer to NA.

        Please QRX for QSL info from Elvin, but it now
appears this station was not on JD1-Ogasawara as most
thought.  Hopefully JD1-Minami Torishima is a new one
for many of you anyway!

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV