Re: Topband: 160 mtr low signal - CW Pitch

To: sebdesn@comcast.net, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 mtr low signal - CW Pitch
From: W2pm@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:37:34 EST

In a message dated 11/29/2006 3:15:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sebdesn@comcast.net writes:

I wonder  if this tinitus this is a function of all those years of
"diggin em out"  with a pair of headphones on???? I also suffer it..

73 de  Bud  WOHG  (huh?)

Im not a physcian but I have done lots of study on tinitis and it is not
related to too much CW altho IT MAY have developed from too loud a volume
especially with headsets.  However, it's kind if moot (not mute!) since  once
you
get it you can't reverse it.

Tinitis may affect your abilty to copy CW however. Medical hearing tests
prove this.  If the "ringing" from your tinitis is 800 hz then that will
"cover"
an 800hz note - and interfere with closeby notes.  Tinitis pitch  can vary
from low to high, however, and some tinitis is buzzing, not clean  tones.

One interesting treatment for severe tinitis by the way using the out of
phase nulling technique similar to an MFJ 1025. It feeds back the tone of the
tinitis ringing out of phase but this device is fairly cumbersome and not
practical for routine use with common tinitis.