Topband: ALA-100 Loop for 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: ALA-100 Loop for 160
From: "Kerry Rochester" <kerry.rochester@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:22:58 -0000
Hello everyone
I live 5 miles from a multi AM BC site pumping out 5 different stations with
the following output powers: 1x400kw and 4x125kw. Further, more close in at 3
miles I have another AM BC station giving 23.5kw and 97.5kw. Fitting a BCB
filter helped, but listening on the inverted l could still be hell.

By accident, while researching K9AY possibilities, I came across the ALA-100
active loop by Wellbrook www.wellbrook.uk.com. I rang them and spoke to this
guy Andy Ikin, who I found to be really helpful. We discussed my situation and
he felt that an ALA-100 might better suit my purpose (and he sells K9AY set-ups
too), what with the strongly interfering RF environment I live in. Well, the
ALA-100 has arrived, and it does indeed suit my purpose. I am able to hear
stations previously buried in noise when listening on the inverted l (the XF
DX-ped being one of those stations).

I wonder if anyone else has any experience in using this antenna for receive?
Anyhow, at the end of the season I'll report back with more findings/results
for those who are interested.

Best 73

Kerry - G0LCS - London