Topband: First Antenna Suggestions

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: First Antenna Suggestions
From: Tim <tim.n9puz@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:59:14 -0600
I'm looking for suggestions on a 160M antenna I can put up in time to
use this winter for the contests, etc.

My QTH has plenty of horizontal area but is short on supports. I have
one 40ft mast along side the house that will support a wire and
several trees 100 ft or so from the house that could probably support
a wire at about 20 ft.

A full size dipole is possible and probably the easiest option
although it would be low with the apex at 40 feet and the ends
dropping to about 15-20 ft. Given the heights available for supports
this may be as good an option as any.

Radials run across the lawn for a few months are a non-issue this time
of year.

Because of the shack location open wire feeder or ladder line would be
a big project so I would prefer coax fed even if it means re-trimming
the antenna for different band segments.

Tim, N9PUZ