Topband: Trying to get back on Top Band - Compact antennas?

To: Top Band group <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Trying to get back on Top Band - Compact antennas?
From: steve d <kc8qvo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:03:47 -0800 (PST)
I have been trying to get on top band again. I got my screwdriver antenna back
from repairs last week and have been running QRP on 40 and 80 with some
success. However, the antenna is not specified as running on 160. A couple
years ago I was able to run 160 by adding a long piece of wire to the tip of
the whip. Thats how I made my first 160 contact (and, the guy was 5 miles from
me so I guess I cant really count it HIHI).

  I recently bought a 108" CB whip and tried that at first last week to see if
that would get me on 160 (the stock whip is 72"), That didnt work so I tried
adding as long of a wire to the whip as I could (I think its about 15 feet) and
that didnt work either. Ill try and run a longer wire here and see what
happens. I cant remember the length of the wire I used before when I was able
to tune up on 160.

  On a different note, and I realize that everyone on this list is probably
cringing on my attempts to get back on the band HIHI, I am curious to know what
everyone thinks about Isotron antennas. I have read some pretty amazing claims
about these antennas. However, I have also heard them referred to as dummy
loads. What do you guys think? Would an Isotron for 160 be remotely woth the $$
and effort? If it probably wont work even as well as my attempt with the
screwdriver then I better not buy one.

  Since at this point, relocation is not an option Im trying my other options
HI.

  Steve, KC8QVO