Re: Topband: Beverages sharing supports?

To: "Alan Benoit" <wq5w@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages sharing supports?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 08:08:55 -0500
> Can 2 seperate beverages (seperate feedlines, seperate
> transformers, seperate ground rods) share the same
> supports?  I have a 585' NE beverage I recently put up
> that uses 5' steel conduit supports with PVC pipe
> insulators at the top (~ 7' height).  I have cut slits at
> the top of the PVC pipes and run the wire through those.
>
> Could I drill a hole in the PVCs about a foot vertical
> down from the current wire and run another wire through
> these as an independent SW beverage without excessive
> coupling of the antennas?

Alan,

You can get away with a dozen feet or less when two wires
are parallel for large portions of the wavelength, but not a
dozen inches!    Cross coupling between the two antennas
will be severe when two conductors are only spaced one foot
over a distance of 585 feet! What you will have, in essence,
is a single wire terminated at each end with a feedline
across the termination.

Since that is what you will have, you might as well clean
the system up. Either install a two wire reversible Beverage
or use a single wire with a feed transformer at each end,
and terminate the unwanted direction at the antenna switch
with a resistor that matches the line.

Many of my Beverages have a good transformer (like the DX
Engineering BFS-1) at each end.  75 ohm lines go to a
switching box that terminates the unused direction in a 75
ohm resistor.

73, Tom