Re: Topband: 9J2VB on 160

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 9J2VB on 160
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:55:28 -0800
On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 01:46:53PM -0500, Bill Tippett wrote:

> 1.  QRS a little.  35 WPM is far too fast for 160 with
> noise, QSB, etc.  ~25 WPM works much better.
>
> 2.  Send the station's call several times (for the same
> reasons above).  Sending it only once does not work well.
>
> 3.  Send the station's call at the end as well as beginning
> of your exchange.
>
> (Like this but at ~25 WPM):
>
> AA4NU  AA4NU  599 599  AA4NU K
>
> AA4NU CFM 9J2VB up 3
>
> This is how DL3DXX, DL7PE, KM9D and many other excellent
> Topband ops do it!  160 has unique challenges due to QRN,
> QSB and generally weak signals (i.e. stations calling Vlad may
> be stronger to him than he is here because of differences in
> antennas, power, etc) so some unique operating style changes
> may help.

Very excellent advice.

If anyone wants to invest some time into really understanding how
these techniques come into play with the "typical" weak signal
conditions often encountered on topband, I have a CD of about 75
minutes during a European opening that I enjoyed a few weeks
back.  I was able to "run" about 10 Europeans during that time,
but only one or two of the QSOs were acheived on the first take.

One QSO didn't make it, but I sure tried.  Send me an SASE of some
kind that a CD will fit into if you would like one.  It is a good
weak signal workout during my work commute.

Quick Boring report - worked SV3RF and CT1FJK on Monday night.

Worked the VK9C station Monday morning with a good signal just
before my sunrise.  Yesterday AM, heard the radar pretty well, and I
understand it was on again today.

Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net