Re: Topband: dipole or vert?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: dipole or vert?
From: herbs@surfvi.com
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 09:17:42 -0400
Quoting Telegrapher9@aol.com:

> I'd like opinions on .... A full size dipole up 20' or a 20' tall top loaded
vertical.

Wow..that is a Hobson's choice...if it were me I would put up both.  The a
short openings near local SR/SS when the low dipole may work for you but the
rest of the time it is a clould warmer.  Yet the low dipole may be a lower
noise RX antenna while the vertical can reach out for DX better even though
the efficiency will be low.  But so will the TOA compared to the dipole.  Also
try to get as many radials down with the vertical.  My experience is that the
Marconi less than 1/8 lambda is not all that hot except that KH6DX/m always
had an awesome signal and worked 160 meter DXCC from the West Coast in his
vehicle.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ