Topband: Dumb radial question

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Dumb radial question
From: "Vanderydt Theo" <ON4ATW@skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:33:15 +0200
Hello TopBanders,

I have a (probable) dumb question about my radial system.
This summer i got rid of my inverted L antenna and put up a shunt fed
,toploaded, tower
to use on 160. Not having time to lay down radials right away i tuned the
vertical without
and got it at 1.2/1 SWR X 0 and about 50 Ohms. None of these figures tells
anything about
performance of this radiator, i know! But i'm giving you the numbers for
reference.
These are the figures i got from my MFJ analyzer.
Today i drove a copper rod into the ground at the base of the antenna and a
number of radials
have been layed on the lawn. The ground rod and radials are attached at the
bottom of the
vertical.
Now i read following figures from the analyzer.
SWR 1.5/1 X 0 and R 80 Ohms. Bandwith stayed the same at about 60 KHz. SWR
went up a bit, but what i'm puzzled with is the increase
in impedance? Is it normal to see a higher feedpoint impedance? I expected
the impedance to drop..
Am i interpreting the numbers correctly? Should i continue to attach radials
untill i'm reading a 50 Ohm
impedance?
Maybe someone can answer my question.
Before i had the ground rod and radials i worked some dx with this antenna,
it radiates, but
how efficient?

Thanks on forehand,
You can reply of the list to on4atw@skynet.be