Re: Topband: Detuning Vertical

To: K9AY <k9ay@k9ay.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Detuning Vertical
From: Michael Rauh <mikerauh@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:15:49 -0700 (PDT)
--- K9AY <k9ay@k9ay.com> wrote:

"a grounded half wave (which is what your 160 vertical is on 80M) is about as
well detuned as you'll get."

Gary, Thank you and others who responded.  I modeled some more, testing a
resonant trap and base loading.  Base loading made things worse, and the trap
only gave 3 dB improvement in current suppression, not worth the trouble in my
view.  I think your observation is correct, a grounded half-wave is already
about as detuned as I can get.

I envision using a relay to ground the 160M antenna when I am using the 80M
antenna.  When I am on 160, a second relay can open-circuit the 160M antenna
during receive periods while I am listening on my RX antenna - a K9AY loop, of
course!

73,

Mike W8GT

"When you're a Ham, you're a Ham all the way"
 - Apologies to Steven Sondhiem