Re: Topband: Receiving Loops

To: "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@cox.net>,Top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Receiving Loops
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:07:14 -0700 (PDT)

"Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@cox.net> wrote:
Therefore, let me ask:  Has anyone constructed a K9AY or similar terminated
loop antenna with one end near a chain link fence, and if so, what were the
results?  Mike,

I have treid quite a few different RX antennas in compromised locations when I
was in AZ. The K9AY is a great antenna and is obviously easy to construct, but
there just ain't no free lunch. It along with several of the K6SE designs
suffered badly from the influence of nearby structures. That's not to say it
wasn't an improvement over the TX vertical, but you can do better.

The Flag configuration was overall the least likely to be compromised by nearby
"stuff" including elevated radials. Over a period of two years of testing in
various locations around the yard, it was always the best. Of course it's a lot
harder to implement. No free lunch.

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA