Re: Topband: Thoughts on making low resistance joints betweenaluminiumtu

To: "George Stewart, VK5ALS" <ggstewart@adam.com.au>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Thoughts on making low resistance joints betweenaluminiumtubing sections?
From: "Robert King" <w3gh@kiski.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:13:32 -0400
Hi Topbanders,

 I am very much aware that any joins between sections of a short vertical
radiator need particular care to produce as low a resistance as is possible
so as not to degrade the overall efficiency any further.

 How do people tackle this problem (and it would include Yagi constructors)
of making low loss contacts at each section where an aluminium tube is
fitted into the previous section.

George,

Before erecting my 70 foot aluminum vertical,  I shunted one joint on each
section with a short length of #14 tinned copper wire. A six inch lenght
with
ring terminals on each end and #6 stainless steel screws for attaching; a
dab
of anti-ox under each terminal and finally a dab of clear silicone over each
connection.
After 12 years, no problem. Still worky worky.

Bob W3GH