Topband: Beverage Installation Question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Beverage Installation Question
From: markwa1ion@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 12:56:02 -0400
<<
ON4UN discusses using electric-fence insulators when using tree trunks
as
support, which infers that having the wire close to a tree trunk is ok.

When I installed mine, I cleared a path through the woods for overhead
branches and leaves.  But, I did not clear anything on the ground.  In
the
summer, these strange stalky-looking plants take over.  They have
thick-walled hollow stems and are very wet when you break them.  They
grow 7
to 8' tall, which is about 2' under my Beverage wires.

They don't seem to make a difference.  A/B tests with the other
antennas are
the same as they were in the spring before those plants took over.  By
the
fall they will be dried up little sticks and I'll check again.

73,
Tom, NI1N

Probably Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum) - bamboo like - a
totally junk invasive weed that you should have no guilt in setting
your weedwhacker loose on, whether it's messing up your Beverage or not.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA